Hi, I’m Monique Duncan, I’m a Speech Language Therapist and Functional Nutrition Specialist, combining both education and individualized nutrition strategies to support improved brain health, emotional and physical resilience, learning and communication.
I have worked as a Speech and Language Therapist in the education sector for almost 20 years, supporting children with a range of learning and communication needs, including those with Autism, ADHD, selective mutism and behaviour difficulties. Over the years it has become increasingly clear to me that all our children, regardless of their educational needs, require a holistic approach to education involving more than purely educational strategies. Targeted nutrition and lifestyle factors are key to helping our children reach their full learning potential.
I’m committed to using the latest advances in integrative pathology testing and nutritional supplementation, combined with health and lifestyle coaching, to support and empower you and your family to maximize brain health and improve your mental, emotional and physical wellbeing.
All of the approaches that I use in my clinic, I use to support my own health and that of my family.
Back in 2011, in my early 30’s, I suffered a major health crisis. I experienced a period of high stress, combined with hormonal contraception, as well as possible exposure to a water damaged building, which triggered a number of genetically based health issues. I was so fatigued and unwell that a single salsa lesson left me in bed for a full weekend and a slow 15 minute walk made me feel nauseous. On top of that, I developed IBS and a large number of food sensitivities and chemical intolerances. I was tired all the time, anxious, and forgetful. Frustratingly, nearly nothing showed up on conventional blood testing.
In the course of improving my own health and brain function, I developed a passion for holistic health. I went on to formally study mind-body practices, natural health, functional medicine and nutrition with a number of leading local and international institutions (including the Kalish Institute of Functional Medicine and The Institute for Integrative Nutrition; the world’s largest nutrition school).
I continue to research the latest holistic and integrative medical advances to support you and your family on your journey to better brain health.
- Kalish Method, Certified Practitioner (1 Year Mentorship), 2019 Dr Daniel Kalish
- Fitgenes, Certified Practitioner, 2019 Fitgenes Australia
- Diploma in Health Coaching, 2017-2018 Institute for Integrative Nutrition, United States
- Bachelor of Natural Medicine, 2019-2022 (anticipated) South Pacific College of Natural Medicine
- Diploma of Homeopathy, 2011-2014 College of Natural Health and Homeopathy
- Certified NLP Trainer, 2014-2015 Communications Plus
- Master of Science in Speech-Language Pathology, 2001-2003 University of Cape Town
- Bachelor of Science in Logopaedics, 1997–2000 University of Cape Town